Thursday, September 3, 2020

2020: CTD-Pt2 - Day 3 Into the Mitten

Day 3, Connect the Dots Part II

It was another quiet and restful night in my tent, and I slept well. The only surprise was that many of the campground noises I was expecting had been replaced by the sound of air conditioning units running on the RVs, trailers and pop-up campers that dominated the campground.

I went through my routine of packing, cooking and packing some more, and while there was sunshine through the trees, my tent was still damp as I rolled it up. By the time I left the campgrounds, I was under a featureless hazy overcast, riding without a shadow. It was 3 miles out to the the park entrance, and I then headed north towards Albion on SR9’s wide paved shoulder. Just like the day before, the majority of passing cars and trucks were moving over, even though I was on the shoulder.

Another hazy start on rolling hills.


I was riding with 2 Bontrager Flare Daylight Running lights clipped to my rear panniers. I had one set at the daylight mode (4-6 hour duration) and the other night (15-20 hours). I had a third in my pannier ready swap out if needed. I certainly believe that the 2/3 of mile visibility changes a drivers reactions to a bicycle on the road ahead of them. I was also riding with a Bontrager Flare 800 headlight in daylight mode (20+ hours). While I didn’t need to do any after-dark riding on this trip, it was nice to have capable lights if I needed it.

In Albion, I found a quick shop, and added two more GatorAde caps, but I could not find a coffee shop or diner, so I just rolled on, relying on another round of apple slices I had prepped at breakfast, along with a banana and a Clif bar. After a few more miles on SR9, I turned east and was back on county roads, moving steadily north and east. I passed through Rome City and Wolcotville, but I felt it was too early for a food stop, so I continued to pedal and snack for the next 20 miles. 
Small town art always tells a story



Crossing US20, I knew I was getting closer to the Michigan state line. Just north of 20, in Mongo, Indiana, I found a small bar and grill that was open for lunch, and enjoyed a delicious home style cheeseburger and refills of ice cold Diet Coke. It was also another opportunity to charge everything along with my iPhone. After lunch I hit the quick shop across the street, picking up another Gatorade, and collecting another cap.

The overcast had finally cleared while I was eating lunch, and the next 10 miles were under sunny blue skies and cotton ball clouds. I started to hear the drone of semi trucks in the distance, and then the next small hill turned out to be an Indiana Toll Road overpass. From the top of the overpass, it was just 1/4 mile, and I was at the state line and in Michigan. One more milestone for the trip.

In to Michigan

Crossing a state line is always a trip highlight for me. One of my first overnight rides as teenager was from home in Michigan to my Grandparent’s in Toledo, Ohio, a 1-day ride, but crossing that first state felt like a special accomplishment, even though we made the 50 mile drive many times a year. Crossing into Michigan meant I was one stop closer to connecting the dots.

The good news was today was going to be 10-12 miles shorter than my prior two days.  After working my way east, my route finally bumped up against I-69, and I continued north, under road signs letting me know this was the Emergency detour for the interstate. I was soon riding in the outskirts of Coldwater, and then came up to US-12, the main east west route through town. US-12 was a familiar landmark, since 60 miles east of here, it ran just 3 miles from my childhood home.

My plan was to stop at McDonalds for a second lunch and some WiFi, but the dining room was closed. I continued my way east, and finally found a Jimmy Johns with picnic tables. It was already almost 5pm, and I was less than 10 miles from the campground. My original plan had been to pickup a couple more freeze dried meals at the Coldwater Walmart (a good resource for rural touring) to finish the trip. But instead, I just went for an early dinner of a sub and some chips, and saved the 30-40 minutes of parking, locking and shopping, and 30 minutes of camp cooking.

Dinner time

The early arrival in camp was nice, since this was laundry night. I was wearing my 3rd (and final) set of riding clothes, and had two days of riding left. The onsite laundry was another reason I had picked this campground. Once I had my tent up, I biked across the campground to the laundry and shower room. I was also able to have everything charging while there. It took about an hour to have me and gear clean and repacked, and then I biked back to my camp site just before sundown.

My tent site was on small rise above the campground’s private fishing lake, and was very open compared the woods enclosing my two previous campsites. My first three days were complete, and as settled in for the night, I looked forward to tomorrow’s ride on the roads I knew so well from my youth.

Day 3 - Chain of Lakes State Park, Indiana - Union, Michigan
  • 58.5 Miles Total
  • 230 Miles Trip Total
  • Total Time  09:09:03
  • Riding Time  05:17:16
  • Average Speed  11.7


No comments:

Post a Comment