Sunday, November 19, 2017

2017: DALMAC Day 4 - Century Day

The fourth fourth day of my sixth DALMAC (Dick Allen Lansing Mackinac) ride this summer. 

Sharing something special with a brother.
The best dinner of the trip, and a good night’s sleep, are all good omens for a century ride. Breakfast was good too, a plate of eggs and bacon, oatmeal, muffins and fruit. Yes, that probably sounds like a couple of breakfasts, but it will be a long day. After breakfast I head outside and finish sealing up my bags before I put them on the truck.  Then I head back to set the day's route on my GPS, turn on my running lights, and put on my helmet, glasses and gloves.  With a nod to Steve, we roll out.

The itinerary today reads like a Michigan travel brochure; Lake Charlevoix, Boyne City, Walloon Lake (Hemingway country), Petosky and Harbor Springs.  Agriculture has given way to forests, and we ride through a mix of pines, maples and other varieties, with a few of the trees already changing colors.  The sky is overcast, but the threatened showers never materialize.

The early fog is quickly burning off, and is it another jacket and tights morning. We start with a 200 foot climb in the first few miles, and quickly give it back on a curving descent. About halfway down the hill a cluster of riders are aiding a fallen rider.  We pause to check, but the situation is in hand, and little we can offer, and the sirens of the first responders can be heard in the distance. Steve makes a call to update the ride director before we  move along. (We learn later the rider lost control on the descent, and was banged up pretty badly, but his injuries were not life threatening.)
A foggy start.

A few miles down the road we have our first stop, at the fire station in East Jordan. This is also a bake sale, benefiting the fire department that is hosting us. Just like the day before, the theme is pie, and I am offered a piece of fresh baked ABC pie; apple, blueberry cherry. The pie and coffee are a welcome break, even at just 14 miles into the day.

There is special bond with this department, after their paramedics saved the life of a DALMAC 2009 rider who suffered a heart attack on the infamous Wall.  The Wall is ⅓ of a mile long, 20% grade climb a few miles north of here on our route. After the rescue, the DALMAC Fund gave a gift to the department, and they been hosting this sag and the bake sale.

Did I mention the pie?
After pie we roll on through East Jordan, riding briefly along the shore of Lake Charlevoix. The route then takes us 
 out of the town, and the grade gradually picks up. I work my through my cassette, and then it's just my legs versus the steepening grade of the Wall.  I have to lean into the handlebars as I near the top to keep the front wheel firmly on the pavement. I crest the hill a few yards ahead of Steve, and we meet and pause to catch our breath and have another rider take our picture, before continuing on.

After the Wall, we have only a short short respite before the next climb.  The descent from The Wall, drops us to below our starting point before another set of climbs over the hills above Petosky. We enter town on steep descent to where we join US31 as it wraps around Little Traverse Bay.

Arriving in Petosky is special this DALMAC, because I will be connecting with my brother Jeff, who is going to ride with us for the next 30 miles.  Jeff and his wife have a vacation condo in Petosky, and we have been planning to meet here since mid-summer.  He began riding seriously about 10 years ago, and is now an avid bicycle advocate for trails in southeastern Michigan.  Jeff and I have done some short rides over the last few years, but this is the first time we have met on an organized ride together since high school.


Top of the wall! 
We meet a McDonalds, where I have second breakfast, and we sit for a few minutes for introductions and to catch up.  Jeff’s wife Debbie will be picking him up later in the afternoon at Legg’s Inn in Cross Village. We wrap up our meals, and Jeff heads out to unloads his bikes, and after a few pictures we are on our way again.

Jeff guides across across US31, and we head toward a shoreline trail that parallels the DALMAC route.  We get a few glimpses of Little Traverse Bay, before the trail continues along the boundaries of Petosky State Park. We then return to the main road, and turn back toward the water on a side road. This takes us to the shoreline drive leading into Harbor Springs.   Founded in 1880, Harbor Springs was then a popular summer resort for turn-of-the-century business owner from Michigan and the Midwest.  For the next 2 miles we ride past dozens of brightly painted 3 and 4 story summer “cottages” built during that era, featuring elaborate bric-à-brac trim on their wide front porches, all fronted by immaculate lawns and elaborate garden leading down to the the water front road.

Lake Michigan from along M119.
We leave the waterfront, and ride through the center of town, and then up a short steep climb to the bluffs overlooking the bay.  We are now on M119, Michigan’s famous Tunnel of Trees route.  Our next 20 miles follows the twisting road through forested coastal dunes, and sometimes narrows to a single lane.  We take the “low-road” option, a route Jeff has not ridden before, and he is already looking forward to sharing this route later with Debbie.

We climb back up to the main route, and the random breaks in the trees provide scenic vistas of the blue water below us. We have soon left the bay behind and are now looking out over Lake Michigan.  As I ride, I flash back to that first ride on this road, some 40 years before, as a 17-year old, traveling alone for the first time, doing something completely different from what I experienced any time growing up.  Riding this road for the first time in 1974 shaped my life and the love of riding.

Riding along on M119
I pull along side Jeff, who is two years younger, and yet knew some of what I was dealing with at home at the time.  For the first time I am able to share this memory with a family member.  In so many words, I tell him  "This is where it all started. Do you see why?”   He smiles back. He gets it.

The next town we encounter is Good Hart, and we stop at the general store for lunch.  It is busy place, with a steady stream of cars, motorcycles and bikes.  We all choose some sandwiches and drinks, but have a bit of scare when Steve takes a tumble on an uneven floor in the back. He is fine when he get back up, but is a little concerned he might have twisted his ankle.  Jeff and Steve take their selections outside to eat, but I am two people back in the checkout line, and end up behind 10 minutes of local chit chat and a lost mail drop.  I am finally outside by the time they finished eating, and pack away half my lunch so we can keep moving.

We have 8 more miles of twisting roads until we arrive at Cross Village.  Debbie had just arrived a few minutes before us, and they need to pack up quickly to head back to town for dinner with their kids and grandkids.  We say our so longs, and I give Jeff an M119 memento I had picked up in Bliss. Along the way we have made plans for century ride next summer near his home.  It has been a very good ride together.

Steve and I now have over 70 miles in and another 25 to go.  We are under overcast now, and heading inland.  We have three more fair sized hills to go, mostly long steady grades, but each rewards us with some nice long rollouts.  The temperature is in that not warm, not cold range where you need a jacket on the flats and descents, but with any effort to climb, you are soon unzipping.  With our socializing stops, we are now overtaking many tired slower riders, and I give a friendly encouragement as I pass.

Even though it is late afternoon, the overcast (and riding in sunglasses, of course) makes it feel later, but we still finish up by 4:30.

With 95 miles.

I find my baggage, and bring it to a likely tent spot.

I have 95 miles.

I about ready to unpack when I look up and see a floodlight overhead, and decide to move to a spot away from the building before I setup.

I have 95 miles.

I set my tent, open my chair and start to look for my clothes for the shower.

I have 95 miles.

I put my cycling shoes back on.

I walk back to my bike.  I have not yet ended my day on the GPS yet, so almost an hour after arriving, I am back on my bike for the 5 miles to make it 100, and an official (I have some very judgmental cycling friends) century.   This is my 6th DALMAC century and for the first time, I realize it has over 5,000 feet of climbing, a number that really surprises me.  Its very satisfying to feel this good after that kind of a ride.


Dick Allen speaks to the riders in Pellston.
I am late for the taco dinner, and it is the most disappointing meal of the trip (Oh, for some lasagna or baked potatoes!).  The only thing that saves me is the dessert table and oatmeal cookies.   This is the last night out, and one of the features is a short program by the ride director, some door prizes and hearing Dick Allen speak to us.   He comes in riding a recumbent trike, and gives a short presentation on the value of DALMAC, and the DALMAC Fund.  He even calls out Steve for his work on both.  He is also very excited that the foundation is going be working on changing its status to allow more fundraising and donations.  He gets a big round of applause and a standing ovation as he wraps up his talk.  The evening concludes with a some door prize drawings, with the grand prize a free DALMAC next year (alas, I didn't win).  The rider director gives a few final reminders about tomorrow's bridge crossing, and the evening wraps up.

How DALMAC takes care of charging!
The cafeteria slowly empties and everyone heads outside.  As I walk back toward my tent a party is going on at home on the edge of the school, and and they are releasing paper hot air balloons into the twilight sky.   I watch nearly a dozen climb and drift east with the breeze, disappearing into the overcast, to reappear briefly in a break in the clouds before finally fading from view in the darkening sky.
My charging station.

I grab a bag from my tent, finally ready to shower, but not looking forward to it, since I heard from everyone there is no hot, or even warm water.  My body can’t tolerate a cold shower, and I hope that it has improved now that the crowd has been through.  But after the long walk to the locker room, it’s pretty obvious the hot water is not even turned on, and I end freshening up at a sink and heading back to my tent.

On the walk back, I collect my gear from the charging station for the last time.   Back at my tent, check the weather for tomorrow, send a few emails and set my alarm for the morning. As I settle in for my final night in the tent for the trip, there is the gentle patter of light rain on my tent.  It only lasts a few minutes, and I finally drift off into a well deserved sleep.

Continues in 2017: DALMAC Day 5 - It's All About the Bridge

Day 4 by the numbers:
Start: Central Lake
Finish: Pellston
Mileage:  100.5 (328.4)
Riding Time: 7 hours
Lunch:  Petosky/Good Hart
Elevation: +5259 ft / -5158 ft

After 100 mile, back to US31!


Follow the Ride So Far on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment